You sometimes have problems sleeping due to stress, a hectic schedule or other outside influences. No big deal, right? Probably not, but if these issues start to interfere with your daily life, they can indicate a sleep disorder. Some of the symptoms of a sleep disorder include:
- Difficulty falling or staying asleep
- Daytime fatigue
- Strong urge to take naps during the day
- Irritability or anxiety
- Lack of concentration
There are several types of sleep disorders: From insomnia to sleep apnea to narcolepsy to sleepwalking. Some make it difficult to fall asleep and sleep through the night. Others make it tough to fall back asleep after waking up during the night. Aside from making you (and the family members you may be keeping awake) feel exhausted, a lack of sleep can negatively impact your energy, mood, concentration and overall health. But you’re not alone. More than 75 percent of Americans between the ages of 20 and 59 report regularly having sleeping difficulties.
What are the best treatments for sleep disorders?
Depending on the type of sleep disorder you have, your doctor may recommend a medical treatment that can include:
- Sleeping pills or melatonin supplements
- Allergy or cold medication
- Medications for underlying health issues
- An assistive breathing device or surgery (usually for sleep apnea)
- A dental guard (usually for teeth grinding)
Making lifestyle adjustments can also improve your quality of sleep, especially when combined with medical treatments. You may want to consider:
- Increasing vegetables and fish to your diet while reducing sugar intake
- Exercising to reduce stress and anxiety
- Establishing a regular sleeping schedule and sticking to it
- Drinking less water before bedtime
- Limiting caffeine intake, especially in the late afternoon or evening
- Cutting back on tobacco and alcohol use
- Eating smaller, low-carbohydrate meals before bedtime
Specialized, personalized care for sleep disorders, right in your backyard
Welcome to better sleep for you, and your loved ones. At Pomona Valley Health Centers, our board-certified team of physicians and experienced, highly trained sleep disorder specialists are ready to help you sleep well again. Our approach to care works through dedicated, individualized sleep disorder treatment in La Verne and Pomona Valley. For healthier sleep, or to take care of all your family’s health care needs, the expert and caring medical support you need is close to home.
Schedule an appointment at a PVHC location near you. For Claremont, Chino Hills or Pomona, call 909-536-1493 or click here to use our online form.