Staying safe at home during the COVID-19 outbreak has changed the routines of our lives, perhaps even quite dramatically.
We aren’t going to the gym, our eating habits may have changed, and many people aren’t sleeping well. Many are coping with shifts in their mental health. And we’re all concerned about ourselves and the people we love.
At Pomona Valley Health Centers (PVHC), your family’s health and well-being are our foremost concern…and our purpose for being here. So, during the shutdown, we’re doing what we can to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle with these essential tips from our own Premier family physicians, Dr. Michael Deanda, Medical Director, PVHC La Verne and Dr. Libia Wohlert, PVHC Pomona.
Basic Health and Wellness
- Focus on getting adequate sleep – Set and keep a reasonable sleep schedule of at least 8 hours per night, and put down your smartphone
- Eat nutritious meals – Cook at home rather than getting take-out, and watch portion sizes
- Exercise regularly – Don’t let a closed gym stop you from staying healthy. Walk, run, ride, lift weights, do yoga at home…always following COVID-19 guidelines.
- Slow down, unplug and nurture relationships – Take this time to rest and relax, unplug from electronics and pay attention to your personal relationships
Find A Healthy Work-at-Home/Life Balance
- Remember to take breaks – Take time for yourself, such as taking a walk
- Set and adhere to a work schedule
- Try to go to a separate room to work
Prioritize Health and Combat Loneliness
- Look within your community – If you’re lonely or have specific needs, look to and accept help from your family, friends and neighbors
- Call and connect – Reach out to friends and family via telephone or videoconferencing. It’s important to stay connected!
- Let us help with loneliness – PVHMC’s residents started a new program of reaching out to our communities’ elderly to check on them and offer a friendly voice. Call (909) 378-9180 if you know of someone in your community who can benefit from this service.
- Stay away from or reduce consumption of alcohol and other substances
Resources for Patients and Community Members
COVID-19 Guideline Reminders
The best way to avoid exposure to the COVID-19 coronavirus is to follow the CDC’s guidelines, which include:
- Wash your hands often – Use soap and water, for at least 20 seconds. If unable, use a hand sanitizer with at least 70% alcohol
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Avoid close contact – Maintain six feet of physical distance from others
- Wear a face mask – Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face covering when around others
- There are other guidelines – Visit the CDC’s Coronavirus (COVID-19) online resources for more information.
As this virus outbreak continues, please remember that it is temporary, and we will make it to the other side together. At PVHC, we’re here to help, not just with guidelines to stay healthy but with comprehensive, compassionate care and telemedicine appointments from the safety of your home.