Whether it’s pounding with excitement, fluttering with nervous energy or beating steady as you rest, your heart is working hard for you every single day. It’s the most important muscle in your body because it pumps blood and oxygen to your organs.
If you struggle with high blood pressure and/or high cholesterol, your heart suffers. High blood pressure forces your heart to work harder than it should, which can lead to thickening in the left ventricle and increase your risk of heart attack. While not all cholesterol is bad, too much can increase your risk for heart disease. You can develop fatty deposits in your blood vessels that make it more difficult for your heart to pump blood through your arteries.
February is Heart Health Awareness Month. The skilled physicians at Pomona Valley Health Centers want to help you understand your risks so you can recognize early warning signs and symptoms.
Just about everything you do and everything you eat affects your heart health. Take our quiz to find if you’re doing things that will help keep your heart strong and healthy.
How healthy is your heart?
Heart Health Quiz
Do you have a history of heart disease in your family?
- No—Or none known
- Yes—One or both parents
- Yes—Extended family (e.g., aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.)
Do you have a fitness routine?
- Yes—I exercise 3-4 times per week
- Yes—I do something active every day
- No—I have not made daily exercise a priority
Do you have excess weight?
- Yes—I need to lose more than 50 pounds
- Yes—I need to lose fewer than 50 pounds
- No—I am a healthy weight for my height
Do you have diabetes?
- No—As of my last medical check up
- Yes—I manage it effectively
- Yes—I need to manage it more effectively
Do you smoke cigarettes or use other tobacco products?
- No—I do not smoke or use tobacco products
- Yes—I smoke or use tobacco products occasionally
- Yes—I smoke or use tobacco products every day
How often do you eat fast foods (e.g., high fat or fried)?
- Less than once per week
- 2-3 times per week
- Almost every day
If your answers included one or more bolded options in the quiz above, your lifestyle choices may be increasing your risk for heart disease. To help you make heart healthy changes, we encourage you to partner with a skilled physician at Pomona Valley Health Centers. Call 909-630-7829 to schedule an appointment today.